Women for Women’s Human Rights (WWHR) – New Ways believes that in the present context there is an increasing need for new discourses and strategies for issues of gender equality and women’s human rights in Turkey and around the globe, and new tools for voicing these. Since its foundation, we have always maintained a well-rounded and expansive publication and outreach strategy with various diverse written and audio-visual materials targeting broad audiences including HREP participants, activists, academics, officials, international audiences. Bearing in mind also emerging needs, WWHR-New Ways now aims to disseminate its upcoming publications and outreach materials, as well as existent ones, in a multi-faceted manner.
The patriarchal and anti-democratic publication and broadcasting structures and policies of the mainstream and mass media are serious obstacles before the women’s movement’s ability for public outreach. Therefore, press relations in the form of creating alternative media networks is a distinctive and significant area of focus for WWHR-New Ways, and social media and the internet are utilized to reach out to the general public as an alternative communication tool.
For WWHR-New Ways, it is also very important to participate and contribute to processes and meetings at the UN level, and encourage and mobilize other organizations in the movement for international advocacy. Since the 1990s the global UN conferences on human rights, women’s human rights and the environment have provided a space for the international women’s human rights movement to formulate joint strategies on the international level, and also served as useful mechanisms for national advocacy efforts of the women’s movement. Participating and contributing to these processes and mobilizing other organizations towards this aim, necessitates a strong and rigorous publication, communication and networking strategy. These strategies are also a part of our learning, production and sharing of feminist knowledge and strategies.
In line with the abovementioned objectives, WWHR-New Ways:
– Periodically revises, prints and disseminates its existent publications, with due attention to update particularly those pertaining to legal rights with current information;
– Ensures the production of all its publications and outreach materials in print and/or electronic format so that they are accessible to women from all segments of society;
– Strives to transmit the knowledge and experience of the women’s movement in Turkey to the international arena, and feminist knowledge from the international level to the local context; to this end, in addition to its publications in Turkish and English, WWHR-New Ways works to translate and disseminate some of its publications and outreach materials to Kurdish;
– Works to develop and disseminate new publications according to emerging needs;
– Highly values experience and information sharing between different levels (local, national and international) through coordinating, organizing and participating in meetings, international and/or regional events, and encourages and facilitates the participation of other organizations from the movement.